This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.



There is information for patients on about continuity of medicines supply if there is a no-deal EU exit which has recently been updated.  Please click on the following link.

NHS UK Information about medicines in the event of a no-deal brexit


  The drop in clinics run on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9.30 am until 11.30 am.  

Help Is Only A Call Away ...

999 and A&E Departments are for life threatening emergencies. For everything else call 111 for free, 24/7. Trained staff can give you immediate health advice and direct you to the right care in your area. 

Have You Had Your Meningitis ACWY Vaccine Before Coming To University?

YES - If the answer is YES brilliant, the vaccine will protect you against some of the most common causes of bacterial meningitis in the UK. (You still need to register with us as you never know when you might need us). 

NO - If the answer is NO, you need to get it NOW! Please come to the health centre to register and if you are under the age of 25 ask for your Meningitis ACWY vaccine. 

Make sure you know the signs and symptoms of Meningitis and Septicaemia as vaccines don't protect you against all types! For more information visit:

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence That You Are Sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

If you're sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

However, this will also depend on your employer's company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Self Certificates

Click on the link to download an SC2 form.

Medical Certificates for University

If you require an extension to your academic deadlines due to your circumstances you may be required to gather supporting evidence.  You will need to submit an electronic request via the MyDetails link within your Student Hub and follow the prompts.  If you are unsure how to do this you will need to see your tutor, School Office or the Students’ Union Advice Centre.  You will be informed on completion of your request as to whether you are required to gather medical evidence.

If you require “a letter due to extenuating circumstances” due to a missed deadline (i.e. a request for an extension was not submitted or approved) or where you could not sit an exam or had to leave an exam due to illness you will need to see a GP and request evidence to support this.  Please note fees may apply for any letter/evidence provided by your GP/health practitioner.

You may require a letter/evidence for a CAB (Course Assessment Board) Appeal.  A CAB Appeal is needed when you wish to query the marks or degree classification you have received.  You must follow the guidance offered to you by the University under this procedure.  This procedure requires more robust medical evidence therefore you will need to book an appointment with a GP/health practitioner to discuss this further.  Please note fees may apply for any letter/evidence provided by your GP/health practitioner.

If you are unsure which medical certificate you require please speak to the Reception staff, your tutor or the Students’ Union Advice Centre who will be able to help you further.

If you require a letter for Disability Services in order for support to be put in place for your studies, please speak to the Reception Team at the practice.  This evidence can either be:-

  • A letter which confirms your diagnosis, confirms how long you have been or are likely to be affected by the disability or condition and the impact this has on your day to day life.
  •  A disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) Disability Evidence Form which you can ask your GP or health practitioner to complete.  The forms are available from this link or from the  Wellbeing Disability Services Help Desk in Student Central.

This evidence can apply to a range of disabilities including medical conditions such as Diabetes or Epilepsy, specific learning difficulties such as AHDH, mental health issues physical or mobility disabilities, hearing impairments, visual impairments or social communication difficulties such as Autistic Spectrum.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website